Thursday, May 13, 2010

Post Mother's Day Thoughts

As we travel through life, our journeys can take us in numerous directions. In my journey now I wear many hats -- medical secretary, mom, wife, writer, housekeeper, counselor, cook just to name a few. Some of these jobs are a pleasure while other I could do without.

The most rewarding job I have ever had is being a mom. Rewards are bountiful when the children are little and come in forms of flowers picked from the yard (mostly dandelions), drawn pictures hanging on the refrigerator, or what is more rewarding than hearing a nonverbal child say "I love you" for the first time.

As children grow, rewards come in other ways. Rewards of a teenager wanting to spend time with me, shopping or sharing my love for reading and attending a book signing for the first time. Rewards of being shared with teenage troubles and really wanting my advice.

My oldest daughter recently went on her senior class trip to NYC. This is a child that is preparing to move away next year for college - yet, how my heart warms when she called just to "share" aspects of her trip with me that couldn't wait until she got home.

Life is short. I look back over my children's years of growth and don't regret one moment of putting off housework to play with my kids when they were little. I don't regret putting them high on the priority list. Would I have loved to throw myself into a writing career when the kids were little? Definitely. But at that time, my priorities required me to put my kids first. Two young girls and an autistic son. Do I regret not writing sooner? Not at all.

Relationships are what you make of them. I have enjoyed my children through every aspect of their lives thus far. I look forward to enjoying them as they enter adulthood and make their own choices.

Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have had ever had.

No comments: