Thursday, February 18, 2010

Step Out of Your Comfort Zone

I have been very lax about posting a blog lately and I apologize. Today, though, it hit me as I was driving home from the airport. I had just left my 18 year old who is leaving for California for two weeks. She was standing in line to go through security when she told me she was so nervous she was shaking, yet knew how much fun she was going to have.

As I drove home I thought about my daughter and all that she has done this past year. In September she decided to participate in Miss Teen NH because it was simply something she had never done and had decided she was going to try new things her senior year. That first morning of the weekend of the pageant she told me never to let her do it again because it was way too far out of her comfort zone. At the end of the weekend, she couldn't wait to do it again. She had made tons of new friends, grew more confident and just realized that she could succeed at whatever she wanted if she stepped outside of her comfort zone.

Working through edits, and staring at pages that need to be rewritten, I realize I need to take a lesson from my daughter and step out of my comfort zone and make my heart's desire a realty -- to be a published author. So with renewed motivation, and determination, I am stepping out of my comfort zone and putting new energy into my writing.

What do you desire to do that requires stepping out of your comfort zone?

2 comments:

Denise said...

Excellent post! I hope your daughter has a wonderful trip and I hope you finish your edits.

Emma Leigh said...

Thanks, Denise. With a phone call at midnight -- she had made it. Now I can relax a bit. :) I'm going to skip over the POV change for now and continue on.